January 24, 2014

Our driver again

Believe or not, when we left for the airport at 1.00 AM, we were presented by the same driver who drove us from Amritapuri. Friendly and relaxed, he seemed to feel happy to see us again. We were quite surprised, because I had requested another driver for this trip. But OK. We will give him a second chance and will not interfere with our destiny. Karma in India always comes quicker to you than in Europe. So you never know really what life has up for you. Before reaching the airport, one has to cross a bridge and there is a checkpoint where drivers have to pay a small tax. And what happened here? The driver turned back and asked me: "Can you give me 10 roopies for the tax, Sir?" With a special accent on Sir. I said:"What?" And he repeated his demand. " How is that?" I said. "We have never paid this tax, that is the drivers job." "If you don't want, I can pay it," he said. I felt strange again with this guy. Until now we had never had such a request by any driver since at least 10 years that we crossed this checkpoint. Drivers always paid this tax without even mention it. That was included in the price for the whole ride. I gave him the 10 roopies and he paid the tax. But at the same time he lost his tip for the second time. And that would have been 10 time more. Because that was the tip I wanted to give him at the end of our journey.    

No comments:

Post a Comment